Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Summer of 2014


I have neglected the blog duty yet again. I've been chasing my tail all summer and haven't sat down to actually type up a proper post. 
The summer consisted of working in Belgium with athletes from Canada, USA, Algeria, Ethiopia and New Zealand.
What can I say about Belgium? Well, don't go to Brussels. There are so many homeless people in the city that it looks like a glamping city, it's dirty, and the baby pissing in the pond isn't worth seeing. It's tiny. However, Leuven on the other hand is beautiful. It's too small to be a city, and too big to be a town. It's somewhere in the middle. It hosts an impressive amount of cathedrals in which the architecture is stunning. In terms of places to eat, there is an abundance of different cuisines. If visiting, don't go to the Moroccan restaurant. By far, the worst restaurant experience I've yet to witness. I was really looking forward to trying the food, because Yas is half Moroccan and her dad is a brilliant cook. In this restaurant, I didn't get to taste anything because we waited over 75minutes and the food still didn't come out. Disgraceful. Anyway, there is still pub that has 1000 different beers to sample. I didn't go but I heard it was brilliant. 
The weather in Belgium is quite like Ireland, but hotter. One of the days it reached 33 degrees and the humidity was 93%. Having CF in a hot and humid place isn't very conducive. I was feeling awful. Thankfully, it wasn't always like that. It was usually hot but fresh and with a nice breeze. 
I was back and forth from Ireland to Belgium to collect medication, but made a bit of a detour to Portugal for a bit of a holiday. What did we do in Portugal? Slept, beach, ran, pool, ate, slept. That was it. It was very relaxing. 
So I'm back in Ireland for the last 2 weeks now. I had a check up in Beaumont Hospital on Monday with an array of other tests and scans. My lung function went up by 3% from 3 months ago. So that's positive. 
I came back from Belgium is spent 3 days with Yas in Wicklow. Wicklow is one of the nicest places in the world. Someone recently asked me "where is the nicest place I've ever been to?". My reply was Munich or Wicklow. I think people think they have to reply with some real exotic place like Bora Bora. I think it depends nowhere you find peace. Where you feel at one with yourself. So it could be any place in the world, but if you don't have a good mindset then it doesn't matter where you are.

I will have some exciting news to tell shortly. It's not CF related so don't think that I have been put on the new drug!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment