Thursday, September 15, 2011

Admin, Constipation, Running

I'm in a pickle on what I should do.
The blog is getting more views. But I'm thinking if I should update it more regularly which would be random stuff. More like my twitter account, or should I update it once, maybe twice a week with actual content???
As you can see the training is going well. I run in a golf course called Kileen Castle. It's where the Solheim Cup (the women's version of the Ryder Cup) is taking place this wear. It's a lovely place to run and to eat in. So I'm running 7 miles a day and feeling good. The lungs are getting used to the deep breaths now. Iv also started to increase Saline to once a day. I'm not going to go overboard with it. Overboard is a good term for taking too much Saline. What is Saline? Salt water. If you go overboard, it's most likely in the sea, into salt water. Hence Saline.
I haven't had a sore tummy in ages. Seems to be under control with the Creon intake. I noticed that there is now Creon 40,0000 or some crazy number. I remember as a kid having to take around 6-7 tablets before each meal. Now it's more like 3. But with the Creon 40,000 it's probably only 1. I will have to get onto this. I find Chinese food the worst for having tummy aches the next day. It's probably one of the main reasons I don't really eat take aways. Even going out to a restaurant creates a problem if I don't take enough Creon. For you non CF'ers, your probably thinking why I can't get the amount of tablets right. Creon is a digestive tablet that I have to take to digest food (obviously). My pancreas doesn't really work which means it can't produce the digestive enzymes. Creon contains amylase, protease, and some other enzyme that I cant remember. The amount I take depends on how much fat, carbs, and protein that is in a meal. What I was told is 1 tablet for every 5grams of fat. That's a rough guide. But this can change on the individual. If I don't get it right, I don't absorb nutrients. Not absorbing the nutrients means my immunity will be lowered, leaving me more susceptible to infections, so on so forth. CF'ers can also suffer extremely with constipation. That's the only ever time iv been admitted to hospital. I got given this awful drink called "Go Lightly". You can imagine by the name what it does to you. I had to drink litres of the stuff. The only way I can describe it is gone off strawberry milkshake mixed with sea water, and another gone off ingredient that I can't put my finger on.
Because I couldn't drink it I had to have a tube shoved up my nose, down the back of my throat, and into my stomach. I could feel everything. So intermittently, the drink was poured into my tube and into my stomach. I got so annoyed that the nurses wouldn't let me go on a run that I got my mam to bring in weights, and I did a circuit session in my room, in hosptial. The nurses looked a bit confused. I was 14, belting out weights and exercising in my room. Thank god I had a double room with nobody else in it because I needed the space. I also felt because I was in hospital that I was "sick". So I made sure my lungs kept clear, amd I was out of there as soon as I could. 3 days later, and A LOT of trips to the toilet, I was discharged. Do you know that ad where they open up this girls bag and see it all blocked up with food, and use it as an analogy for being "blocked up" and bloated. Well that bag doesn't even begin to describe what being constipated feels like.
The removal of that tube was like someone taking the biggest snot out of my nose. So unnatural but it felt so good. Eveytime I would swallow my saliva, the tube would pull on my nose and face. I couldn't get used to it, and sleeping with it was another problem. I will never be doing that again. Ever.
,

No comments:

Post a Comment