Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Growing Up PT2

While I was in 6th class. I went to go to the toilet during class. When I got back a girl said to me "are you going to die". I replied "yes, some day". Not thinking she meant soon. Another person asked the same question, so I said no. Why? "well miss said that you had this disease and you where going to die" hahaha aha. Why would you even tell a 6th class student that? Another thing that really pissed me off was when somebody said something about my height. One day this fella said "you look this height from here" I didn't know what he meant but I thought he meant I was small, so I went up and punched him right in the nose. He fell off the wall and didn't know what to do.
I'm not an angry person and don't believe in violence, but that was the trigger. Midget, small fry, anything along those lines. I would flip.
Even on a football pitch. I would always try and prove that size didn't matter. We played against this rough team from Sheriff Street in Dublin. They kept pulling my jersey so I wouldn't run by them. One fella said something, I turned around and started to go mad. My dad and manager start screaming, but I was having none of it. I think the ref let me away with it because it must have looked funny. I was not even up to the other lads shoulders and he had hair on his legs. That's another thing. In school. A person from the year above me said "come back to me when you hit puberty". I went over to him and stood in front of him. Looking up at him. People broke it up before it started. I think i would have got my head kicked in, but after that he never said anything to me.
I wasn't bullied, but that was the fuse to lit to get me annoyed. I'm 5 foot 5 now, and it doesn't really bother me. If it did then i would move to Asia. I have acupuncture to help me along me ways in Asia.
Growing up in secondary school was ok, and didn't seem out of the ordinary. I started running more which helped the lung. Going from primary to secondary school I received a bravery award. I didn't really feel brave. I was just doing what I had to do to stay alive and stay out of hospital. I got to meet all sorts of celebs, and got loads of gifts. We stayed in some huge hotel (my family and I) and had to go on TV. This was horrible for me. I was still at a stage where I didn't want anyone to know about CF, but here I was on National TV. The news, and the newspapers. I heard something about going on The Late Late. This would have been really horrible for me. I'm sure everyone knew about my CF anyway but to have people come up to me and start asking questionsnwould have been a lot worse.
I remember being in school and opening my locker at lunch to get my enzymes out (Creon). This girl says "what did you just take" I replied "what are you talking about, I didn't take anything", I slammed the locker shut and walked away. This was not like me at all. I actually thought about it the other day and thought it was a dream. I felt so embarrassed and figured my secrete was out. What didn't help either is that my science teacher gave us a Christmas test. On it was famous people's names and faces. We had to match them up. I know this has nothing to do with science. But anyway I turned the page over and there was my face along with other actual famous people. To this day it still goes around on his Christmas test. He also tells a story about a student being able to do a handstand and then press ups at the same time. That student is me. I found this out by a young person come up to me and told me the story. I had no idea who this young girl was, which made it even more confusing. He never said I had CF so I presumed people thought it was because I ran??? People referred to me as "the runner" which I was happy about because people that would say "your the fella with CF who runs" would have to be corrected. "no, I'm the fella who runs". I always wanted to be known as the runner, or whatever else I was doing and not the person with CF who does this, and does that.
When I would go to races at the All Ireland, I would always have to take my portable nebuliser with me and take Ventolin before the races. This would cause a problem because all my team mates would be like "what the hell is that" but this started to phase out as I started getting used to taking the neb around the people who I ran with. But still to this day, I select who I'm going to take my neb around. I don't really know why at this stage because I don't care who know about if I have CF or not. It's kind of cool that I have CF and to be able to do what I'm doing. I have my own business and go away to different places every few months to either train or go on a holiday. I still run mad amounts of miles, and people still say "should you not be in....eeeehhh....hospital???". But what's really on their minds is "should you not be dead, or dying??". It's not their fault, it's because people in Ireland don't know anything about CF. It's not a well known disease. But Ireland have the biggest amount of CF population in the works per capita. We also have one of the lowest life expectancies in the world for CF'ers. I think it's 36??? If you go up to the North of Ireland it's 39. It's ridiculous that if we cross a boarder we live an extra few years. We also get cheaper drink!!!!! But this life expectancy isn't a timeline. Like I'm not going to wake up some day when im 36 and die. CF is a long lasting disease and gradually gets worse. Thats why when I get travel insurance I don't thick the box where it says and long term illness. If I did then my travel insurance would cost me nearly €700. If I go away, and something happens me, it's not because of CF.
Iv to go to work now so I will do a PT3 when I get the chance.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment