Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Hospital Visit

A week to the day that I turned 27, I visited the hospital for a routine check up. Every 3 months I visit the hell hole!
First stop was PFTs (pulmonary function tests). I hate this. Not because of the pending results, but because it annoys the heck out of me! I really have no reason. 
So off I blew into the mouthpiece and had a glance of the computer screen. The green bar that monitors your breath was higher then usual. She told me that my lung function had gone up....and by 8%. 
I found it weird as I hadn't really done anything new in the 3 months previous. But then something hit me. Where was I the last 2 months? Oregon for 1 month but then Arizona for another month. Arizona is hot, but Flagstaff, where I was wasn't that hot. It was however, 7200m above sea level and the air was very dry. So by strengthening my lungs by having to breath harder when running and also with the very dry air, I have a feeling that it made a difference, and quite a big one with my PFT results. 
With the above information, I have been investigating the effects of an altitude tent. An altitude tent is a tent that you put over your bed and sleep in it. The altitude levels can be set at whatever height you want them at. I'm not 100% sure it would have the same effect as being at altitude for my lungs. But I will find out.

Secondly. A few years ago I started taking magnesium. Magnesium helps muscles work efficiently by contracting and relaxing as they are supposed to do. I told Prof that I start taking them. He started me on a prescription of them. I also had an inkling that it would help with CF.Turns out that they are currently in the middle of research to show that magnesium helps with the CFTR gene. I'm looking forward to the results. 

Lastly. Like I said I'm 27. No I.V antibiotics and still no admissions to hospital. Ooohhhhhh yeaaaaa!!!   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment